Chris Tucker, famous for his role as James Carter alongside Jackie Chan in the Rush Hour movies is in trouble with the IRS for allegedly failing to pay his taxes in 2001-2002, 2004-2006 amounting to $11.5 million. As such, at the end of last month, the IRS filed a Notice of Federal Tax Liens at the L.A. County Recorder’s Office against the actor/comedian.
This Notice of Federal Tax Lien is a legal claim on the property of an individual in order to pay for a tax debt. It applies to all property or rights to property that that individual has or acquires and gives the IRS priority of claim on these properties over other creditors. It is also filed in state recording offices to make the tax liability public.
The 37 year old actor owns a 9,000 square foot home in Florida which he purchased for $6 million in 2007 and is reportedly in the market to short sell at a loss of $4 million in order to raise some quick cash to pay his tax debts. Tucker also owns property in California, a 6,000 square foot mansion in the prestigious Mulholland Park Community which was also slapped with a lien by the California state government to recover $3.5 million in state taxes in 2009.
It is said that Tucker earned between $20-$25 million for each of the three ‘Rush Hour’ movies he starred in.
Other celebrities of the silver screen and music scene have not escaped the IRS net for their tax delinquencies. In 2006, the court indicted actor Wesley Snipes of 8 counts to defraud the IRS and making false tax claims. These claims were for tax refunds to which he was not entitled in 1996 and 1997 and the fraud charges were for giving frivolous reasons for not filing his tax returns between 1999 and 2004. Although Snipes was later acquitted of the felony conspiracy and fraud charges, he was found guilty of three counts of failure to file his tax returns for the years 1999 to 2001. The actor was sentenced to three years in prison in 2008.
Although he appealed his sentence, supported by fellow actors Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson, an appellate court in Atlanta did not grant it.
Other celebrities who have been in trouble with the IRS over the years include Brooke Shields, Toni Braxton, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey, Prince, Snoop Dog, Pamela Anderson and Shannen Doherty.
Darrin T. Mish is a veteran, nationally recognized tax attorney who has focused on providing IRS help to taxpayers for over a decade. He regularly travels the country training other attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents on how to handle their toughest cases with the IRS. He is highly ranked among the top attorneys in the country, with an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and a perfect 10 on Avvo.com. Martindale-Hubbell has also honored him with a listing in their Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. He is a member of the American Society of IRS Problem Solvers and the Tax Freedom Institute. With clients on every continent but Antarctica, he has what it takes to solve your IRS problems no matter where you live in the world. If you would like more information about his practice and how he can help you, please call his office at (813) 229-7100 or toll free at 1-888-GET-MISH.
- Exclusive Interview with Actor Jasper Cole | Shockya.com
- Federal judge rules Prop. 8 same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional …
- Report: How People Watch – The Global State of Video Consumption …
- The Truth About the 2001-2003 Tax Cuts | The Foundry: Conservative …
- Tax Cut Myth Busting, Round 2 | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.
- IRS Realigns and Renames Large Business Division | US Post Today.
- The Last Day In The Office – The Awl
- Rush hours : All & Sundry
- Sandra Bullock Highest Earning Female Actor 2010
- Tax-funded pensions | ShetlandTimes.co.uk
- Rush 3X03 s03e03 Episode 3 | Series Online Subtituladas
- Watch Burn Notice Season 4 Episode 9 Center of the Storm Streaming …
- Watch Burn Notice Season 4 Episode 9 Center of the Storm Online …
- UNCONSTITUTIONAL: Prop 8 Overturned In Landmark Federal Ruling …
- Thailand committed to property tax | Property Report
- State will not appeal campaign finance ruling | Post on Politics
- Pickled Politics » Trouble in Pakistan
- Property Investment Buying Amid The Recession | Financial News
- Bankruptcy Property Exemptions | Niche Volumes
- Rush Limbaugh – Obama Birthday – Birthers | Mediaite