The IRS is notorious for being ruthless when it comes to recovering taxes. If you owe tax debt, dealing with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can be daunting. To put your mind at ease, our Tampa tax relief attorneys explain your rights as a taxpayer.
Your Rights as a Taxpayer
Dealing with the IRS is no simple task. Thankfully, you have rights as a taxpayer that can protect you while you’re dealing with the IRS. Below we list the taxpayers’ bill of rights:
- The Right to Be Informed: Taxpayers have the right to know tax laws and IRS procedures in all tax forms, instructions, publications, notices, and correspondence. The IRS needs to inform taxpayers what is expected of them to fulfill their tax obligations.
- The Right to Quality Service: When dealing with the IRS, taxpayers have the right to receive “prompt, courteous, and professional assistance.”
- The Right to Pay the Correct Tax Amount: Taxpayers have the right to pay only the amount of tax legally due. This includes interests, penalties, and other related fees.
- The Right to Challenge the IRS’s Position: If you don’t believe that the IRS is correct, you have the right to challenge their position by providing adequate documentation to prove your case. You also have the right to be heard from the IRS and receive assistance.
- The Right to Appeal an IRS Decision: Taxpayers are entitled to a fair and impartial administrative appeal of any IRS penalties.
- The Right to Retain Representation: Taxpayers have the right to retain authorized representation when dealing with the IRS. This means that you can seek legal guidance when you are dealing with tax debt, audits, or other tax-related issues.
How to Exercise Your Rights
If you are experiencing issues with the IRS, you have rights that protect you. However, knowing how to exercise these rights can be difficult without the help of an experienced tax attorney. Our team at Law Offices of Darrin T. Mish, P.A. has years of experience helping individuals resolve their tax-related issues. Regardless of how simple or complex your case may be, we have the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to help you get the best possible results for your case.
Contact our Tampa tax relief attorneys today at (813) 295-7648 to schedule a consultation!